Plymouth Colony records (1632–1701)
The original Plymouth Colony papers, including deeds, are at the Plymouth County Commissioners Office.
The Massachusetts State Archives has transcripts of these papers with indexes.
Some of these records and records from the Commissioners of the United Colonies are in:
- Shurtleff, N. B. and David Pulsifer, eds. Records of the Colony of New Plymouth in New England. 12 Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: William White, 1855-61. (FHL Collection book 974.4 N2n; film 944128-29; fiche 6046866.)
- New Plymouth Colony, Records of the Colony of New Plymouth, 1643-1679, approx, (microfilm of original manuscript, filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. FHL film 912074 items 1-3 )
- New Plymouth Colony, Plymouth Colony Records, Scrap Book, 1636-1695, microfilm of original manuscript, filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. FHL film 912073 item 1 )
For information about land transactions between Plymouth Colony and Indians, see:
- Bangs, Jeremy Dupertuis, Indian Deeds: Land Transactions in Plymouth Colony, 1620-1691, (Boston, Massachusetts : New England Historic Genealogical Society, c2002). FHL book 970.1 B225i)
Massachusetts Bay Colony records (1628–1685)
- Shurtleff, Nathaniel B. Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England. Five Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: W. White, 1853-54. (FHL Collection book 974.4 N2s; FHL Collection fiche 6046893)
After a county was created, land records were recorded at the county registry of deeds offices. Berkshire, Bristol, Essex, Middlesex, and Worcester counties have more than one office because they are divided into two or more land districts.
For a list of towns and cities with their Registry of Deeds, see the City/Town to Registry Guide.
John F. Meade
3195 Main Street
P.O. Box 368
Barnstable, MA 02630
Fax: (508) 362-5065
Donald E. Ashe
50 State Street
Springfield, MA 01103
Fax: (413) 731-8190
Westfield Satellite Office
59 Court Street
Westfield, MA 01085
Fax (413) 568-4869
John R. Buckley, Jr.
50 Obery Street
Plymouth, MA 02361
Fax: (508) 830-9280
Indexes to the land records are online by district/county though mostly post 1948.
The Family History Library has most county land records and indexes from the county's creation to the early 1900s. For example:
- Suffolk County (Massachusetts). Register of Deeds: Records of Deeds, 1639–1885; Indexes to Deeds, 1639–1920. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1969. (on 1128 FHL films.)
Boston and Suffolk County records (1629–1697)
- Suffolk Deeds. 14 Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: Rockwell and Churchill, 1880-1906. (Family History Library book 974.46 R2s; Volumes. 1-14 are on five films, beginning with Family History Library film 1033902; vols. 1-2, 4-7, 9-11, and 14 are on Family History Library fiche 6046903.)